In celebration of Inventory Magazine Issue 11 Totokaelo hosted a party in our Men’s store on November 21st. Playing with monochromatic dressing, the Inventory team reimagined some of our favorite Fall collections from Dries Van Noten, Jil Sander, and Haider Ackermann in this exclusive editorial.
Shop the selects from editorial below.
Full throttle — Meg pairs functional outerwear with stripped down basics for a powerful look.
1. Zero and Maria Manu Jumpsuit in Black
2. Sisii Athletic High Top Suede Sneaker in White
3. R13 Classic Moto Jacket in Black
4. Rick Owens D RK SH DW Exploder Jacket in Black
5. R13 Shredded Crew Sweater in Grey
6. Maison Martin Margiela Finger Cuffs in Silver
7. Rick Owens Lilies Hooded Long Sleeve Top in Black
8. Silver Lining Opticians Calcium Glasses in Dark Tortoise
9. Rick Owens Lilies Midlength Ruched Skirt in Black
10. Rick Owens Pull On Boot in Black
11. R13 Exclusive Trucker Cape in Black
12. Rick Owens Crater Knit Sweater in Black
We sat down with ceramist Ian McDonald after his curated show at Totokaelo to better understand the daily life and work of contemporary artists.
TK — Why ceramics? When did that love affair begin?
IM — I started working in ceramics when I was pretty young, around 18 or so, and I worked as an apprentice to potters where I grew up. I was drawn to ceramics then from a general urge to make things and mostly from the point of view of a functional potter. I was gifted a potters wheel around that same time, and put it in my moms garage where I basically made cylinders and simple forms that I cut up and assembled in the patio. I was less apt to finish work then as I really just liked the work of it all and the searching for form. I sometimes think not much has changed.
TK — What glaze are you loving now?
IM — I don’t know if I’m loving any one glaze now, but I have been working with multiple light layers of glaze recently in order to get more depth in the surface without relying on too much glaze or refiring in order to get a rich surface. I have also been thinking a lot about how the clay behind the glaze affects the surface and glaze, so I have been working with different clays for different pieces.
TK — What’s your favorite piece in the show?
IM — That’s also difficult to answer in particular because I see most of my work in combination with others. In order to be efficient, ceramics to me is a kind of numbers game, where you make many pieces at the same time and in turn get results in bunches. I have been working more with the discrete object recently, but even those are made from multiple parts and a basic vocabulary of shared units around the studio. I’m happy with the extruded pieces as this is something I have been working through for years now, but was never satisfied enough to show them.
TK — Can you tell me something new you learned during the process of preparing for this show?
IM — I learned some technical things this time mostly in terms of joining clay with a slip recipe I had never used. The extruded and stacked pieces have created some pretty serious cracking problems due to too much tension between glaze and clay. Although this sounds like serious shop talk, these technical strategies can in some way take you to places conceptually.
TK — What’s it like being Ian McDonald?
IM — That’s a crazy question! I’m busy with the basics. Whispering in my one year old daughters ear about clouds and her Mom. Cleaning leaves and pine needles around the house.
View the collection, now online exclusively at Totokaelo
Timeless and innovative — Nina’s selection highlights easy pieces from progressive designers that form her personal style.
1. Raquel Allegra Sleeveless Maxi Dress in Black
2. Rick Owens D RK SH D W Fishtail Parka in Black
3. Zero and Maria Cornejo Side Drape Tunic in Black
4. Ann Demeulemeester Lace Up Boot in Black
5. Zero and Maria Cornejo Long Elie Dress in Black
6. Maison Martin Margiela Open Toe Tabi in Metallic Black
7. Ann Demeulemeester Angel Leather Jacket in Black
8. R13 Slouch Skinny Jean in Black
9. Ann Demeulemeester Bebe Sweater in Sand
10. Maison Martin Margiela Stretch Leather Pant in Black
11. Acne Studios Elise Ankle Boot in Black
12. Rick Owens Cropped Easy Astaire Trouser in Black
Check out all of Nina’s selects on our Pinterest page
Ceramist Ian McDonald is presenting forty five new works this Saturday at Totokaelo. Ian will be available from noon to 7pm to answer questions and tell you his story.
Rachel’s Ginger Beer and Totokaelo have collaborated on another flavor. This one is boozy and and called the TK Mule. We’re launching in connection with Ian’s opening. Please join us from 5 to 8 pm and give it a whirl. It’s on us.
Shop Art—Object here
Our Founder and CEO shares the Art—Object pieces that furnish her NY apartment.
1. Native Line Lightning Strikes Tapestry
2. Helen Levi Gilded Eye Planter
3. Helen Levi Rainbow Splatter Artist’s Planter
4. Fort Makers Circle Mobile 1
5. Rita Liefhebber Drape Sheet Set in White Indigo
6. Morgan Peck Sculpture 2
7. Hawkins New York Large Handmade Recycled Glassware
8. Helen Levi Tripod Hanging Planter in Blue
9. Rita Liefhebber Frame Napkin in White Indigo
10. Electric Love Sorceress Chime
11. Demetria Chappo Ceramics Sgraffito Spirit Eye Platter in Lapis
12. Demetria Chappo Ceramics City and Sea Cylinder Planter in Raw Turquoise
Check out all of Jill’s selects on our Pinterest page
Sexy, fun and confident — Maura selects her favorite pieces to build her wardrobe and reflect her personality.
1. Acne Studios Mape Shearling Jacket in Brown
2. Acne Studios Track Boot in Black
3. R13 Chaps in Grey
4. Raquel Allegra Couture Tee in Black
5. Zero + Maria Cornejo Manu Jumpsuit in Black
6. Rick Owens Lilies Sleeveless Mockneck Top in Pearl
7. Rick Owens Lilies Fitted Turtleneck Dress in Black
8. Maison Martin Margiela Lace Up Boot in Black
9. Junya Watanabe Faux Fur Coat in Black
Check out all of Maura’s selects on our Pinterest page
The Decade Parka is a 10-year commemoratory collaboration between two Canadian staple labels — wings + horns and Canada Goose.
Both practical and polished, this parka draws inspiration from classic military fishtail styling and features a tough waxed cotton shell, leather details, and a coyote fur hood to protect you from the elements this fall.
Available October 10th in store in Black or Olive.
Follow this link to view the collection.